Healthy eating doesn’t have to suck!
This dreary Sunday morning called for some sweet treats. This morning I opted for a vegan banana bread. This recipe joins two recipes for banana bread including a cinnamon swirl layer! I like to play around with recipes, in baking it is a little harder to always get it right, I really believe there is a distinct consistency of foods for good baking. A few tricks can help you get your consistency right. I always recommend sifting your dry ingredients. This just makes sure that the dry ingredients are really mixed well. There is also a clear ratio of wet to dry to give your batter the right consistency. Batter that is too wet will not be light and fluffy. If a batter is too dry, the bread will be crumbly.
4 ripe medium bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp plant based milk
1 1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts
Banana slices for the top
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease lid pan
- Mash ripe bananas in a bowl. Mix in all the wet ingredients and sugar (not cinnamon swirl)
- In separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Fold in wet ingredients and stir till mixed. Add walnuts.
- Pour half the batter in the loaf pan. Layer with half the cinnamon swirl mixture and swirl with knife.
- Pour the rest of the batter and the swirl, use knife to swirl. Add banana slices to top.
- Bake 45-55 minutes till toothpick comes out dry.